Sunday, March 7, 2010

Books 6-10

Well, I feel like this is very overdue, yet I don't have that much to post.  I am at like half of the pace that I wanted to set ... but here are the last few books that I've read so far this year.

Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, Book 7)#6
Carrie Vaughn
Kitty Norville Book 7
Urban Fantasy

This turned into kind of a tough book to read.  I mean, the synopsis gives away the fact that there's going to be some people dying, but a lot of them surprised me.  I thought some of them could have gotten off being horribly maimed or something, so they could at least get patched up & come back in later books, but no.  By the end of the book the ranks are pretty thin.

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Book 5)#7
Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson & The Olympians Book 5
Teen Urban Fantasy

There have been a lot of comparisons drawn between Percy Jackson & Harry Potter, but I have to say there is one area where Percy beats Harry hands down & that is:  the ending.  I HATED the end of the Harry Potter series.  Ugh.  It just wasn't satisfying (& anyone who's read them, I'd be curious to hear if you agree with me or not).  Percy's ending, on the other hand, was very satisfying.  Not everyone got out unscathed, but I didn't expect them to.  Things went the way they were really supposed to, if not the way I anticipated.

Inked#8
Anthology
Urban Fantasy

This anthology featured stories by:  Karen Chance, Marjorie M. Liu, Yasmine Galenorn & Eileen Wilks

A themed kind of anthology, revolving around tattoos, both mundane & mystical.  Not to a ridiculous extent, but they showed up in each story.

Changing the World: All-New Tales of Valdemar#9
Anthology - Edited by Mercedes Lackey
Fantasy

This anthology featured short stories by: Mercedes Lackey, Rosemary Edgehill & Denise McCune, Elizbeth A. Vaughn, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Elisabeth Waters, Kristin Schwengel, Brenda Cooper, Stephanie D. Shaver, Michael Z Williamson, Kate Paulk, Sara Hoyt, Tanya Huff, Fiona Patton, Judith Tarr, Nancy Asire, & Ben Ohlander

These were really SHORT short stories, with this many authors, but it helped to make it a quick read.

Iorich (Vlad)#10
Steven Brust
Vlad Taltos Book 12
Fantasy

I know I say this a lot ... but this is one of my favorite series =)  I've been waiting for this book for I think about a year & a half, and it did not disappoint.  Magic, intrigue, lots of dry humor & plenty of action & violence to keep things interesting.

This is, hands down, one of the most complicated series I've ever read, in part because they are not written/published in chronological order.  This particular book was 5+ years further down the timeline than I expected, but I'm guessing the next book or so will go back & fill in the gaps.  Probably sounds absurd, but with Brust's writing style it works - there may be mention of something that happened earlier, and you think "I'd like to know more about what went down there" & then the next book you get the whole story.  Yet ever novel could stand alone & make sense even without knowing the back story.

I've also just got to mention that I love it when someone reads a book I've recommended & really enjoys it.  If even just one reader is interested & reads just one of the books I've posted, that is awesome =)  I've recently got a guy at work started reading the Dresden Files & we talk about it - he's only on the 2nd book but he really likes it.  Just gives me a warm fuzzy LOL.

Thanks for reading.  =)

~Colette

2 comments:

  1. Hey, it seems that you may enjoy fantasy, so just wondering if you have read the series by George RR Martin, starting with "A Game of Thrones." This series is truly excellent, I would highly recommend. The only problem is, he seems to have a bit of writer's block because he wrote 4 extremely long & satisfying novels but hasn't written another one since 2005, leaving all us readers hanging. But still check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMY - Thanks for the suggestion =) I haven't read it but I'm always looking for new authors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...