Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Books 53-56

Have I mentioned lately how behind I am with my reading? I don't think I can blame just the blog anymore, I guess I've got a lot of other stuff going on right now too, but I'm way down from last year's 3-book/week average. Still, I manage to fit in the really good stuff ... and slog my way through some not quite so good stuff too (referring mostly to anthologies, which I have not had very good luck with lately but am too stubborn to put down once I pick up).

#53
Grave Sight
Harper Connelly Book 1
Charlaine Harris

Since Harper's special gift is being able to find the dead, I expected this to be more entertaining than it actually was. Aside from that ability, this was really just your run of the mill murder mystery. The only thing that really tickled me was that Harper's hobby is doing her nails LMAO.

#54
Something From The Nightside
Nightside Book 1
Simon R. Green

I actually had an omnibus edition with the first 3 Nightside books in it, because when I read the premise I thought it sounded for sure like something I would like. Looking back, I still think it sounds like my kind of thing ... but I just couldn't get into it. I gave up after I forced myself to finish the first book, & even though there were some unanswered questions, I don't care enough to pick up the 2nd book unless I honestly have nothing else on hand to read.

#55
Hunting Ground
Alpha & Omega Book 2
Patricia Briggs

Kind of funny, I had just finished saying I couldn't think of any other werewolf protagonists after reading the first Kitty book, and then this showed up at the library for me LOL. Although as they are only on their 2nd book I suppose I can be forgiven for forgetting about them? This series is a spin off from Patricia' Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, following the wolves Anna & Charles.

#56
Kitty Goes to Washington
Kitty Norville Book 2
Carrie Vaughn

I'm still learning this world, but I'm liking it very much. I know I like it very much because I read this one in about 2 days, which used to be my norm but is pretty rare lately. After the events in the first book, she's forced to travel, and I really hope some of the people she got to know in this book will make further appearances as the series goes on, because I really liked most of them. But her travelling all the time makes that problematical ... I guess I'll see soon, I have books 3 & 4 in transit to the library right now.

I'm currently in the middle of an omnibus of novellas (shorter than an actual novel, longer than a short story) that I picked up because it had a Jim Butcher story in it... the 2nd story was set in the Nightside (see my thoughts above ...) and the other 2 authors are new to me. So it's slow going, something I've read, put down, read something else & picked up again. I'll finish it soon - because it's almost due back to the library LOL.

That's it for now. As always after I see how slow I'm going I'm making resolutions to read more, but we'll see how that goes. Thanks for reading.

~Colette

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book reviews. Love the nail stuff, too but I can blame YOU for getting me hooked on Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, hehe. Finished Book 1 and I didn't want it to end! So, thanks for taking the time to do these reviews. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I was a big fan of Harris from the Sookie series I thought the Harper Connelly ones would be good too but I found it to be very drab and boring. I've just never been able to continue the series though I did read the first 2. I absolutely love Patricia Briggs and Carrie Vaughn. I JUST finished reading Hunting Ground and loved it. Oddly with the Dresden Files series I always pass them by thinking I won't like them or they're too boring or not my style but every time I do read one I love it. I think I've read about 6 of them now and I'm still trying to remind myself what a fantastic author he is lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for some more books for my reading list. I just finished Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning. Have you read this yet? I hate the last page of each book (not really). I want to read the last book in the series. I guess it's still being written. I'll really hate for it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Sookie Stackhouse books. I've meant to pick up any of the Harper Connelly books but I haven't. I'm afraid I may not like them as much.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to take a look for these at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DICEY1 - You're welcome! Jim Butcher really is one of my top 5 favorite authors - if you like higher-fantasy type stuff for sure check out his other series, the Codex Alera =)

    BLUEYEZ - I avoided the Dresden files for a long time because I thought I didn't like first-person narrative, but then I read some other things that changed my mind & once I picked them up I wished I read them sooner =)

    LUCY - I think I have that one on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's hard when you know the next book won't be out for like a year, that's why I love finding new series to read that already have a lot of books =)

    MIGHTY LAMBCHOP - I think I've been almost extra-dissapointed that I didnt like Harris' other series, because I do like Sookie so much. But Harper was boring & Aurora Teagarden was REALLY boring ... I think there is one other series, but I can't remember that character's name, I haven't read any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...