Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hello & Welcome

Well, I guess the short version is: I decided to start a blog.

The longer version is that about a month ago, I made the lovely discovery that there are people just as obsessed with their manicure as I am - in many cases MORE obsessed. Since then I have been lurking & reading & working up the courage to put in my 2 cents. I've gleaned so much useful info in just a few weeks that I feel the urge to contribute what meager knowledge I have to share.

I know pretty much zero about blogs past reading them. I'd never seriously considered writing one myself before I realized there was a comminty for a subject I was actually interested in. But I like to think I'm a quick learner, so hopefully it won't be too long before this page starts to look like more than a grade-school experiment.

That said - on to the good stuff! The manicure. My current NOTD, although they're really more like NOTW because to this point I've only been doing them once a week. But that was before I purchased my first bottle of Seche Vite 2 weeks ago. Quickly followed by the purchase of a glass nail file - both on the recommendation of so many other bloggers. Hopefully if I continue to follow all the good advice I can get my nails looking as good as all of you other ladies. Right now I have problems with peeling & breaking on several specific nails (which you'll see below) but because I really cannot stand having short nails I instead have to deal with uneven nails. Before we get to the real manicure, I took some "naked" shots of my nails on Sunday, here's what I'm working with underneath it all:


I believe this was taken just under the ceiling light in my room + the camera's flash. My nails that grow properly I'm pretty happy with - my thumb & index finger not so much. The right hand is in similar shape but worse ... there's a pic of it painted below, you'll see. The next piece of advice I think I'll be taking is Biotin.

So then I did 2 coats of China Glaze Romantique Harmony - which was the first color of the collection I tried because purple is always my favorite - and then Konaded (is that a verb? If not I declare it to be one from now on) it with white special polish & plate m4 twice. You can see why one of my New Year's Resolutions is to learn & practice a cleaner paint job. Taken directly under the lamp.




I've mainly been lazy & resistant to learning to be neater because with a little peeling & scrubbing, most of the extra polish comes off. Well, at least that's what I thought before I started taking close-up gigantic shots of my manicure. Good enough to the naked eye, but at this range I notice quite a bit of excess polish still clinging on. This is under my full-spectrum lamp at work:

And hours later, a little cleaner but still little stubborn specks. This next one is taken outside; it was snowing, so bright-white but no direct sun. LOL I really need to pick one good spot to take the pics, I know, but I'm still kind of in the experimental phase as far as that goes.


Anyway, those are my nails, and they make me happy. Probably my #1 simple little pleasure. If you're still with me after this ridiculously long first post, thanks for reading.

~Colette

7 comments:

  1. Beautifull!!!! You have given me a great idea for nail stamping!!!
    I have that disk and i have used that flower with french manicure...but as you have stamping it's very nice and very fantasy!!!
    Thanks for the links!!I put your blog on mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astasia - thanks so much, I'm glad I was able to inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and am following.
    I love your nails AND your writing style that's why I'm at your first post and plan to read them all. :)
    Susie in northern NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUSIE - Thank you so much, hope you enjoy =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I found your blog a few days ago and have since been reading all of the post backwards (it was odd occasionally, lol). Really enjoying it, and definitely gonna be a follower from now on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol I did the same as Jen except saw your Youtube and started there ans went backwards there too lol :) Nice to see where it started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I just finished reading your blog from most recent post to the beginning. You are really an inspiration for me--about a month ago I started my own blog and I don't yet have any followers (well, my niece, but she really doesn't count), but your blog has given me hope that if I keep it up someday I might get a few here or there. I love how your nail length and skills have evolved over time. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...